Monday, April 18, 2011

LOVE Spring Break!

Hello, dear Readers!

It is a lovely Monday morning here in the Shenandoah.  The birds are chirping, the sun is shining and the leaves are budding on the trees.  What a glorious spring morning!

It is Spring Break week for my school division and I am enjoying every minute of it!  I stitched on the Saturday SAL with my dear friend Robin (no blog.)  Here is my Saturday progress...

This piece is a fun and quick stitch.  I love the colors and I especially enjoy reflecting on the words as I stitch them.  I cannot wait to have it hanging in my classroom!

I am also planning a trip to Richmond this week.  I will be visiting the Valentine Museum where I will view the original Richmond Sampler (Anne Maria Clarke.)  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I will view the original Richmond Sampler!  It is not on display due to the fact that it is in such terrible condition.  I contacted the archives department who then contacted the curator and after numerous emails it has been decided that the lovely Richmond Sampler will be coming out of storage so that I may meet her!  I am beyond excited!  The ladies in the archive department at the Valentine Museum have been so helpful...they are needlework enthusiasts too!  I am scheduled to view Richmond Sampler on Thursday and I promise to report back with a thorough dissertation.  I was also thrilled to find out that the files of the Valentine Museum contain a conservators report with historical information on the sampler and the stitcher, Anne Maria Clarke.  It is 17 pages long!  When the ladies in the archives department told me that...well...I thought I had died and gone to heaven!  SEVENTEEN whole pages written about the Richmond Sampler and Anne Maria Clarke?  It is a historian's dream!  I am giddy with excitement!

While I stitch away the time till Thursday, I plan on enjoying the lovely weather as well.  My kitty Simon is anxious to get outside too.  Simon is very skittish and well...he is a mama's boy.  He is not an outdoor type of cat but he LOVES to go outside, eat grass and sniff around.  I do not allow him to roam the yard by himself so I usually accompany him.  When the weather is gorgeous, like this morning, he sits at the kitchen door and begs to go outside. 


Since his is a Siamese, he is rather vocal,  ALL THE TIME!  But that is what I love about him. 


His sister, on the other hand, is a total tomboy and stays outside from morning till night. 


Not to worry, we live on a farm away from traffic.  Both of my kitties are great about staying in the yard and close to home.  Besides, the lambs provide them with hours of entertainment.  I caught a great picture of the lambs playing on top of the hay bales! 

We live on a sheep farm but it is our landlord who owns the farm and the sheep.  We are lucky to have such wonderful, picturesque surroundings!

Well, dear friends, I guess I should venture outside with my cat and my stitching...it is going to be a good week!  Till next time...Happy Stitching!

Cheers,
Valerie

14 comments:

robindefender said...

Wow, you're so lucky to get a chance to see the original sampler. I look forward to hearing your report!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your SAL with Robin is coming along just great! I am so excited for you that you'll get to see the original Richmond Sampler. I was at the Valentine Museum last year and it never even occured to me that they might have something like that! I hope you're able to take pictures and to copy the narrative, maybe?! How great would that be? I can't wait to hear all about it. Your report may tip me over the edge on doing TRS - although all those queen stitches intimidate me beyond words!

Love the pics of your kitties and hte sheep are so cute. What a fun area in which to live!

Margaret said...

Love your SAL piece! And getting to visit Anne Maria Clarke in person! Oh I'm envious!!! Getting to read about her too! So cool! I bet Simon and his sister are happy it's spring. It's still a bit cool to be opening windows here but I know Mia is anxious for that warmer weather!

Catherine said...

I can feel your enthusiasm through my computer screen! Can't wait to hear all about your trip to the Valentine Museum!

Cute pics of your kitties and the sheep! It sounds like a lovely place to live.

Siobhan said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I haven't stitched Anna Maria and am giddy with anticipation, eagerly awaiting your report. How thrilling for you!

Love how the L*K is coming along!

The kitties are adorable. :)

Elizabeth said...

What an amazing opportunity! I cannot wait to read your thoughts once you see the sampler. I also really enjoyed your pictures of the lambs - our new house is surrounded by neighbors with all sorts of farm animals, my favorite being the horses :) It's definitely peaceful living out in farm country!

Nancy said...

Your SAL is coming along nicely! Hope you have an enjoyable trip to Richmond and I know you will enjoy your visit to the Valentine. Can't wait for the details!

Anna van Schurman said...

I love your enthusiasm for the Richmond Sampler. I am looking forward to the full report!

Robin said...

Enjoy your spring break, my friend! Know you will have a fabulous outing to the Valentine Museum and I look forward to hearing all about it on Friday!

Great progress on your ABC lessons!

See you soon!

samplerlover said...

How wonderful to be able to see the real Anne Maria in person. I also hope that you can take photos etc. of this truly beautiful sampler.

Your ABC is looking lovely. - Sandra.

Laurie in Iowa said...

I'm so excited for you that you will be seeing the Richmond Sampler in person and have all that documentation about Anne Maria Clarke to read.
Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

Carol said...

Can't wait to hear all about the Richmond Sampler visit, Valerie. We'll be down in Richmond in May for my son's graduation from UR--can't wait. I know they'll be singing Shenandoah at the pre-graduation ceremony and tears will be streaming down my face... That song always makes me cry!

Love your little LK start, too!

Natalia said...

Nice progress on your LK, Valerie. What a great opportunity to see the original Richmond Sampler !!! That is wonderful that it will be brought out of storage just for you. I look forward to hearing about it.

Suzanne said...

Nice progress on your LK SAL. Enjoy your visit to see the original sampler, how lucky you are.