Monday, March 7, 2011

Sampler in miniature and dollhouses! (Picture heavy)

Good day everyone!

The sun is shining and it is a gorgeous day here in the Shenandoah.  We received lots of rain yesterday (much needed though!) and now the sun is shining.  I have a feeling that the Easter flowers will be blooming soon!

I was going through some old photos the other day and happened upon some pictures that I took at the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum in Williamsburg, Virginia.  Although it was a couple of years ago, I remember our visit like it was yesterday!  The sampler "drawers" were open and I was able to drool all over the extensive groups of antique samplers in the Colonial Williamsburg collection.  I could not take pictures of the samplers but once I moved on from the samplers (I was there for over three hours!) I found my way over to the doll house collection.  I love doll houses and had one when I was a child.  Walking through the exhibit I can honestly say that I felt like a kid again and I even found one that even had a miniature sampler in it!  Here are some pictures of my adventure with doll houses...
Yours truly in front of the doll house with the sampler.  See the tiny sampler on the wall above the bed?

This is a close-up of the sampler

A picture of the entire house


Here is the kitchen...

A close-up of the wine bottles in the kitchen

Living room

Foyer


This is a tiny greenhouse right off of the main house...adorable!


Another lovely house

Dining room...see the little picture of George Washington? 

Bedroom above the dining room


I hope that you enjoyed perusing the dollhouses...sometimes it is fun to be a kid again!

I will leave you with a picture of what my future car will look like...including the license plate!

Have a good one!  Happy Stitching!

Valerie


11 comments:

Katrina said...

Very cool, loved looking through all the pictures of the dollhouses and the car is fabulous ;-).

Robin said...

Thanks for the virtual dollhouse field trip to Williamsburg! What a neat place to visit!

Carol said...

I've always loved anything in miniature, Valerie, so seeing these dollhouses was a real treat. I'm always amazed at the detail in these beauties! How cute that they included a sampler on the walls, too.

What a perfect license plate :)

Margaret said...

What great dollhouses! And that car -- nice!

Pumpkin said...

What adorable houses! I can't believe how detailed they are and how TINY that sampler is! LOL!

Lisa x said...

thank you Valerie for our virtual tour, those doll houses are marvellous and how cute is that little sampler, I enjoyed looking at them all, no wonder you spent a while in the museum
the car looks great fantastic license plate

anniebeez said...

LOVE the dollhouse-thanks for sharing!!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us! I love, love, LOVE doll houses and cannot wait until my little one shows an interest in them - and I know she will. I've been stalking doll house sites for some time now and get just giddy with excitement thinking of all the little decorating I get to do! The little sampler topped this off!

Deb said...

I love the pictures of the doll houses. I've always wanted one. Even went so far as to collect kits for furniture and my grandmother also collected things for me. Have patterns to make rugs and samplers and have never gotten there. Maybe one of these days.

Suzanne said...

Wow, the dolls house is exquisite. There is an amazing attention to detail. I have a book on making miniture stitched items for dolls houses, but I have never given anything a try.

KathyEllen said...

What amazing dollhouses! I think that I would love to be a "doll", just so that I could live in one of those "dream come true houses"! Love the incredibly teeny tiny sampler above the bed in the first house too!