Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Getting in gear...

Hello dear blogging friends!

The art teacher at school approached me the other day about Fine Arts week.  The week of March 14 (next week!) our school will be celebrating Fine Arts through a myriad of activities and special events.  She said that she was having a "Hidden Talent" event and would like for me to showcase my needlework.  Well.....I must say that I was thrilled about the possibility of showing off my needlework not to mention the possibility of getting some of the kids interested. 

So, I began thinking of all of the finished projects that I had and realized that I don't have as many finished projects as unfinished projects!   Well, not much can be done about that in only one week but I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could accomplish some serious stitching on Richmond Sampler.  Here are the fruits of my labor...

Here is a before pic...


And here is my progress as of tonight...


Stitching these flowers makes me think of spring!




Gotta love those over one berries!

I certainly do not think I will be finished with Richmond Sampler by March 17 but I am trying to at least have the border finished.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Here is my stitching helper, Simon.  He always has to be involved with my stitching!

Happy Stitching!
Valerie

21 comments:

Margaret said...

Great progress on Richmond! And what fun that you'll be able to show the kids your needlework! It would be so great if some of the kids got interested in stitching! Simon looks like a great stitching companion. Aren't cats great? :D

Glenna said...

Richmond is beautiful, but Simon is even more beautiful. Please send him to me immediately! LOL--I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate that.

Robin said...

Your Richmond Sampler is looking really good, Valerie! How fun to "display" your hidden talent!

merumo said...

What a wonderful opportunity for you to show off your beautiful works! And the progress on Richmond sampler looks lovely. I've been stitching a lot of flowers lately and I really enjoy a taste of spring there... Hi Simon! You look like a little shy boy :)

Laurie in Iowa said...

You're making great progress on the Richmond sampler. How fun that you'll be sharing your needlework with the kids.

Natalia said...

Valerie, what a great opportunity to get children involved in cross stitch !!! I am sure you have great work to show them.
Richmond sampler is looking great !

Sylvia said...

How exciting to show off your needlework!
Your Richmond Sampler is coming along so nicely - what a beautiful sampler.

Nancy said...

How fun that you get to show your needlework! You have made nice progress on your Richmond Sampler, and what a beautiful border! I agree that the flower makes you think of spring. Simon is one gorgeous kitty!

robindefender said...

Great progress on Richmond. Have fun at the school event; I hope you can suck quite a few kids into this fabulous hobby! ; )

Katrina said...

Your kitty is sweet, my puppies help me stitch, LOL.

What a wonderful opportunity, can't wait to hear how it goes and your sampler is gorgeous.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Awesome progress on Richmond, Valerie! Can't wait to see what you decide to show at the exhibit!

Carol said...

I love Richmond more each time you post your progress, Valerie--it really is an amazing sampler. And I adore your little stitching buddy, too--so cute :)

Karen said...

Wow, great progress on your Richmond sampler! At this rate, I think you have a good chance of having the border done by March 17. You go, girl!

Farm Girl said...

It's looking lovely Valerie, I hope you have a wonderful week sharing your beautiful stitching.

Lois said...

Nice progress on this lovely sampler. It will be fun to share you stitching with the kids.

Suzanne said...

What a great opportunity to share your stitching.

Great progress on your Richmond sampler!

Siobhan said...

Your stitching helper is adorable! :)

What a neat thing to be able to do, to share your needlework and hopefully inspire others to begin while doing so. Your Richmond Sampler looks great--nice progress!

Lynn B said...

Lovely progress!

Kim said...

Your Richmond Sampler looks beautiful! I am sure the kids will be in awe when they see what you have done with needle, fibers and linen, and with your hands!! What a sweet thing to share, your love of needlework!!

Jennifer said...

Hi Valerie,
I'm new to viewing your blog. What amazing work. Congratulations on being invited to Fine Arts Week. I found this most interesting as I have been struggling with the fact that my work was rejected for the Warren County(Ohio) Arts Fair. My booth partner's gourdwork was accepted (it's beautiful) but my needlework was too "crafty" and not up to their standard of art. I'm glad to see the people in your area have a more open mind. By the way....I think your work is truly ART!!! Love the photos of your cats and the dollhouse too.

http://lasoffitta.canalblog.com said...

Beautiful stitchng!!!!
Hugs
Nadia