Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fine Arts Week!

Hello friends!

WOW!!  It is an absolutely gorgeous day here in the Shenandoah!  The sun is shining and the sky is blue...what a glorious day!

We are in the middle of Fine Arts Week at school and I showcased my "Hidden Talent" today.  I displayed four framed pieces as well as two unframed pieces and three works in progress.  On the tables I also placed several sampler books and quite a few SANQ magazines for them to look at.  The "Hidden Talent" Showcase was before lunch and there were several different staff "hidden talents" ranging from needlework (yours truly) to quilting, dancing, and drawing.

In the room where I was stationed I set up my framed and WIP pieces.  I was not sure what to expect but I am pleased to report that the kids were amazing!  Of the 35 students that attended about three wanted to learn how to cross stitch!  And while not all students wanted to learn how to cross stitch, ALL of them were interested, respectful, well-behaved and asked great questions.  I was absolutely thrilled!  And while that may not sound like a lot, where I work, it is.  I teach in an adolescent mental/behavioral hospital.  Summon the worst language and behaviors you can think of and my students have probably done them....twice...at least!  So to see the kids interested and RESPECTFUL of my hobby was a blessing.  My heart is briming with pride today...I am so proud of my students!  It is days like this that make me proud to be a teacher!

I could not snap any pics of my presentation but I did catch a few pictures of the art room before the kids came in...




The three students who would like to learn how to cross stitch will be able to use their art time to learn.  Terry, the owner of Cross Stitch Station (my LNS,) DONATED aida cloth, needles and thread for the kids.  I am so grateful and lucky to have such a wonderful LNS, and friend, close-by.

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments and emails about Fine Arts Week and my presentation.  Your kind words mean more that you know!  Until next time...Happy Stitching!

Valerie

11 comments:

Robin said...

I am so thrilled for you that you presentation went well and the kids were thoughtful and respectful! Very nice display, my friend!

Margaret said...

That is so neat! Sounds like a great success! And may I say I admire you for working with these kids too. You must have tons of patience. It's definitely needed -- with any adolescents! lol!

Laurie in Iowa said...

It sounds like the perfect day, both inside the school and outside. I'm so happy for you that the presentation went so well.

Glenna said...

Oh, how wonderful. Had I known in advance, I'd have winced at the expected behaviors, but I'm so pleased your demonstration was well-received. And bless Terry for making those donations! I'd be curious to know what kinds of things the kids are interested in stitching.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

What a great day! I'm so glad the kids enjoyed your exhibit and that they were respectful and appreciateive of your talents. Your displays look great!

Carol said...

What a great way to expose kids to new hobbies! I'm not surprised that a few wanted to learn to stitch after seeing what beauties you had on display, Valerie :)

Elizabeth said...

You were very trusting with your beautiful work and what an awesome thing to have happened. So nice of the shop owner to donate materials to this students as well and I truly hope all of them will take to this wonderful art and explore it to the fullest! You guys are doing amazing work!

Kathy Ellen said...

What a wonderful presentation for all of your students! Isn't it so exciting when young people are so drawn to the fine art of needlework too? Congratulations!

Suzanne said...

What a great day and I am happy that it was so well received. It's great that you were able to inspire some students to learn to stitch.

Katrina said...

Glad everything went so well!!! That's awesome and I love the pictures of the displays.

Siobhan said...

Oh, that is so neat! I'm so glad that everybody was respectful. That means a lot. Wonderful display!