Sunday, February 20, 2011

The road of good intentions...or the reason why I cannot find time to stitch

Thursday was shaping up to be a good day.  Work was smooth, the kids behaved and all of my lesson plans went........well......as planned (which for a teacher can be quite an accomplishment!) My husband had to work late which meant at least FIVE peaceful, uninterrupted hours of stitching.  I was looking forward to going home, slipping into my PJ's and stitching away.  Not to mention, I was going to fix one of my favorite comfort foods for dinner, Chicken Casserole.  Hubby does not like Chicken Casserole because it has broccoli.  Since he was not going to be home, I decided I would whip up my favorite dish and stitch the night away.  Besides, he is a chef and he eats at work when he works late. 

What was I thinking?  Why did I ever think that I would be able to score FIVE hours of stitching time with my ultimate comfort food???? 

After my smooth day at school, I hop in my car and head to my mother's house (two houses away from my own) to pick up some mayonnaise.  My Chicken Casserole recipe calls for mayo (told you it was good!) and I was running low.  I arrive safely at my mother's where I promptly get involved in a conversation with one of her "chattier" customers (in case you do not know, my mother is a cosmetologist and has her own shop in her home...think Truvy's in Steel Magnolias....really, it is just like that!)  There are several ladies getting their hair done and they all want the latest news from me.  This means fielding all of the the necessary questions like, "How's work?" and "How is your husband?" etc, etc.  I try to answer as quickly and painlessly as possible without being rude.  I finish with the interrogation and make a bee line for the kitchen and the mayo.  I grab the needed condiment, say my good-byes, jump in my car, and guess what!  The battery is dead.  I left the keys in the ignition and the head lights on!  AAARRRGGHHHH!  So, this means that I now have to jump the car, which is no small feat since I have to WALK to my house to retrieve the jumper cables.  The ladies in my mother's shop tell me to wait for my husband to come home and take care of the dead battery problem.  I seriously consider this...I can hear my stitching calling my name...but realize that while stitching is high on my list, knowing that I can take care of the problem myself is even more important...not to mention my pride.  After hooking up to my mother's car and listening to not one, not two but three different stories about dead car batteries, I finally get my car started.  However, by this point, new customers have arrived and I have to fill them in on the details of my life as well as why my car battery is dead.  Not only that but I have to listen to even more funny dead car battery stories.  Once I finally free myself from the confines of the beauty parlor, I head home to start cooking.  It is now 6:00.

O.k, at least three hours left to stitch.  Not so fast.  Dirty dishes have been left in the sink by hubby (thanks honey!) and I cannot start cooking in a dirty kitchen. Oh, and what is this???  The cat apparently has had an upset stomach ALL DAY LONG!  I clean up the cat yak (my endearing term for it,) wash dishes, get dinner in the oven and start laundry.  It is now 7:00.  I sit down in my stitching chair, turn on the TV, and grab my stitching.  What appears on my TV screen?  An error message.  Yep, seems like the Dish Network box needs to be rebooted.  This means a trip downstairs to the satellite box.  While downstairs, I switch over the laundry and head back upstairs to my stitching.  The phone rings...it is hubby just checking in.  He denotes the tension in my voice by saying, "Are you ok?"  I will be ok when I can sit and stitch! is what I would like to say but instead simply assuage him by saying, "Fine."  He then asks what I made for dinner, which, as you may, remember is not his favorite.  "Chicken Casserole?" he exclaims, "Is that all that you fixed?"  Apparently, hubby was expecting dinner at 9:00 when he got home.  I promise to have something for him when he gets home at 9:00 and it looks like it will be a grilled cheese and soup night for hubby. The timer goes off for my casserole.  By this point I am starving and dig into my casserole.  It is now 8:00.  Where did the time go???  I happily settle into my stitching nook and begin to stitch.  I get in FOUR whole stitches when I see headlights in the driveway.  Yep, it is hubby pulling in.  Apparently when he called he neglected to tell me that he was on his way home.  I feel like crying but I jump up and start fixing soup and grilled cheese.  Hubby is very good to me so I don't complain......very much at least.  He has had a hard day at work and I sit patiently and listen to him regale me with the escapades of his employees.  I look at the clock......it is 9:00 and time to get ready for bed.  Where did my five hours of blissful, uniterrupted stitching go???  Well, maybe next time.  At least it was fun thinking about it.

On Sunday, I was able to stitch quite a bit and actually made some progress on two projects.  I stitched on my SAL with Robin (no blog.)  We are stitching the Homespun Elegance, Ferry Farm Cherry Sampler.  The both of us are really enjoying this piece.  I am a little behind Robin's progress but I hope to be caught up this week. 

I have been stealing time over the past two weeks to work on Richmond Sampler.  Now that I am done with the lovely over one verse, I have decided to focus on the border and flowers.  Here is my before picture...

Here is a present progress pic...

Isn't she lovely?  I just love, love, love this sampler!  Now, if I could only get her done this year!!!

Well, dear readers, I must hop off and get ready to start the work week.  I am starting to get caught up on my email and promise to be in touch with those of you who probably think that I have dropped off the face of the earth!  Thank you for all of your wonderful and much appreciated comments!  They make my day!  Happy Stitching!

Valerie

10 comments:

Natasha said...

oh my just hearing of your night wore me out :) I knwo how sometimes the best laid plans tend to go poof. Hopefully you get a few other blissfull stitching moments this week....
Take Care

Loraine said...

Oh my goodness what a bad day! I feel so bad for you and could feel every second of your pain! It was really entertaining to read. Somehow it was even more funny to me, as I could relate. Somehow my stitching day yesterday turned into bill paying, laundry and the grocery store. I don't have a clue why those took all day long!
Better luck next time. Your samplers are just breathtaking, and I look forward to seeing more progress.
Have a great week.

Margaret said...

I can so relate to your story of woe. Isn't that how it goes sometimes? I hope you do get to settle in and stitch at some point! You poor thing. We all need some blissful, uninterrupted stitching time. I think your DH should cook since he's a chef! :D

Robin said...

Great post! Sorry you weren't able to have your evening of stitching, but there will be other times! And even though you only got in 4 stitches, it is 4 that you now don't have to stitch!

Your Ferry Farm Sampler is looking good as is Richmond!

Have a good week!

Catherine said...

Oh my goodness - what a night you had! I think we have all been there at one time or another!

Your stitches look great!

Natalia said...

Valerie, it sounds like it wasn't meant to be !! I have so been there and done that... It is amazing how things just come up and time flies.
Well, your Richmond Sampler is looking beautiful. Keep working on it...

Carol said...

Oh, the best laid plans....... I've had many blissful planned hours of stitching turn in to one or two minutes! LOL

samplerlover said...

Yes, things like that happen to me sometimes. I find it is better not to make plans. It is always delightful when things just happen.
Your Richmond sampler is looking lovely as is your other one. I have always loved the Richmond Sampler. - Sandra.

GingerCat said...

Oh my! Your blissful evening turned into one big non-stitching fiasco! I do hope that your chicken casserole was wonderful and you had a chance to enjoy. I do enjoy reading about your stitching and your new job. As another Shenandoah Valley resident, it is good to know there are teachers excited about their work.

Your stitching looks fabulous!

Suzanne said...

I am so sorry to hear that all your stitching plans went out the window. I never make plans to stitch, something always disrupts them. If my DH takes the girls for the day, I can guarantee I will have some unexpected visitor that stays most of the day. I just take whatever opportunity comes my way.

Your stitching does look lovely.