Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Off to another wonderful Gathering...

Hello dear readers!

It is a blustery, sunny day here in the Shenandoah!  The "Blizzard" missed us but the cold temps are making there way here tonight.  I hope that those of you are dealing with the terrible weather are faring well and there are no power outages to report.

It is that time of year again, it is time to attend the Gathering of Embroiderers.  As many of you know, last year was the first year that I was able to attend the Gathering and I had a fabulous time!  I took the Richmond Sampler class (aka Anne Maria Clarke sampler) with Margriet Hogue of The Essamplaire.  This year I am taking another of her classes, the Cynthia Burr Sampler.  This is an American Mary Balch School sampler from Rhode Island.  The class is two full days and I cannot wait!  I wish that I could take more of the classes but 1.) I work full-time and cannot take the time off to attend all of the classes offered and 2.) any more BAP and I may go crazy!  Here is a picture of the sampler...

Isn't it gorgeous?  Apparently there is a large amount of freehand work in the piece and we will be learning about that in depth.  I leave tomorrow afternoon (after work) and will hopefully arrive in Williamsburg in time to enjoy the Gathering's Stitching Room. 

I promise to take plenty of pictures and share my progress with you!  Till next time!

Valerie

17 comments:

Nancy said...

Have a fantastic time! The sampler is gorgeous!

Edgar said...

What a super sampler!!! Have a geat time in Williamsburg.

Robin said...

Have a fantastic time this weekend! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure when you return!

Stay warm!

Melissa said...

That is a stunning sampler! Have a wonderful time! I wish I could be there too!

Sharlotte said...

How lovely Valerie!!

I don't know how in the world I missed your last post!! I have thought about you many many times since your last post in Oct. and kept meaning to email. Shamey on me for not doing so!!! I hope you are doing well!

Have fun in Williamsburg!!

Glenna said...

Oh, man, I could've/should've gone! Can't wait to see your work on this. What a gorgeous sampler!

Stitchy Witchy said...

Have a great time. I can't wait to read all about it and see some great pics.

Margaret said...

Valerie, have a wonderful time! We expect a full report! Can't wait to see the new sampler take shape -- it's so pretty!

Meadows08 said...

Have a great time at your class! You're so lucky that the storm didn't hit you so you can still attend.

I love the piece your starting, looks really intimidating to me though!

robindefender said...

Hi! I know we don't know each other, but I guess we were in the Richmond class together last year. I'm on my way there tomorrow, but I'm taking one of Trish's classes this time. I know you'll have a great time in Margriet's class, and maybe we'll run into each other there!

Sylvia said...

What a fabulous sampler - have fun. I have to say I am a bit jealous. Can't wait to see your WIP.

Katrina said...

Really beautiful!!! Hope you have a great time :-).

Carol said...

Oh, my! Now that is what I call a sampler!! Have a wonderful time, Valerie :)

Cathy Lloyd said...

Have fun at the Gathering! The sampler class you are taking looks like it's going to be so fabulous! I love doing the free-hand embroidery on those. It adds some fun dimension to the piece! I'm a tad envious!

Katherine said...

Oh, have a wonderful time! Wish I could be there too!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

I hope you're having a blast at the Gathering, Valerie! The sampler is gorgeous and I'll be looking forward to seeing your pics!

Michele said...

That sounds fantastic! Have a great time and show pictures!