Sunday, February 6, 2011

Back from a wonderful Gathering...

Hello dear stitching friends!

I am back from Williamsburg and an absolutely enjoyable Gathering of Embroiderers!  I am jealous that I could not attend another class...Margriet Hogue was teaching another fabulous sampler class today, but alas, there is always next year!  I must tell you that the picture on the web of the Cynthia Burr sampler DID NOT DO IT JUSTICE!  I took a picture of the sampler and here she is in all her glory...

Isn't she absolutely gorgeous?  The majority of the sampler is free-handed...which is a little like, as Margriet described, paint by numbers with thread.  Margriet discussed the free-handed section in detail but we did not actually stitch any of the free-handed sections.  According to Margriet, the counted sections should be stitched first, then trace the pattern onto the fabric and stitch the free-hand part last.  Here is the traceable pattern...

I will have to use a light box of some sort but that is a long way off at this point! 

I arrived in Williamsburg around 6:00 pm on Thursday evening.  I left straight from work and the drive was quick, only about three hours.  I checked in, took my luggage into my room and headed for the restaurant in the hotel for a little dinner.  I headed back to the room and headed to bed early.  Class was to start at 8:30 the next morning and I wanted to get up early to see what I could find in the Stitching Boutique!  There were several vendors, but I knew what I wanted to buy...Essamplaire kits!  I headed to The Essamplaire booth and picked up these two beauties...Helena Kutz and Sarah Hatton McPhail

I don't know when I will be able to stitch them, but for me half the fun is looking over the charts, feeling the linen and threads, and thinking about the young lady who stitched such a wonderful piece of art. 

Class started and we got down to business.  I saw a fellow blogger, Susan (her blog is Plain and Fancy), who is also stitching Richmond Sampler.  She and her mother were also taking the Cynthia Burr class.  It was great to see the both of them...they are lovely ladies and such accomplished stitchers!

I met so many fabulous people!  I am terrible with names, so forgive me for not remembering all names but it was great meeting fellow stitchers!  Cissy, Kathy, Anne, Ria, Mary and so many others...it was a pleasure to meet you and stitch with you!  My stitching buddy, who shared a table with me was Cissy Smith from A Gentle Pursuit Designs.  For those of you who have the magazine, Sampler and Antique Needlework, the Summer 2010 cover is one of her designs.  She is a lovely and talented lady and I was so lucky to have met her.  We had dinner at the Williamsburg Lodge on Friday evening...and thoroughly enjoyed the amazing seafood buffet!  The food was fabulous and the company was even better!

I took lots of pictures and here are several that I would like to share.


 Our classroom


 My stitching area...

Cissy hard at work!

I set up a stitching niche in my hotel room.  I moved the desk near the TV and stitched for hours!

If you are interested, I have more pictures on my Picasa page.  I took several close-ups of the sampler, so if you are interested in seeing sections close up go here: https://picasaweb.google.com/valiehokie

Oh, last but not least, I did find something that I have been searching high and low for.  There was a vendor who specialized in hard to find needlework books, antique notions, etc.  At her booth, I found THE book..."In the Neatest Manner...The Virginia Sampler Tradition" by Kimberly Smith Ivey.  I have been pouring over it the past two days.  What an amazing book!

Well dear readers, I must go and get ready to start the work week.  Thank you for all of the wonderful comments and well wishes for my trip!  Reading your wonderful comments means so much!  Thank you!
Till next time...

Cheers,
Valerie

20 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Absolutely beautiful work - and I am so jealous of your patience and diligence when working on these. I hope some day to do one like this, but I need many more years under my belt. I also noticed how your email address had 'hokie' at the end of it and was so excited to find a fellow Hokie and a stitcher as well! Love reading your blog and dreaming of home!

Margaret said...

It looks like a wonderful time! Love your stash too! Freehand embroidery -- that's way beyond my limitations! I look forward to seeing your progress on this one. It is really gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your experience with us a second year!

Glenna said...

What fun! Thanks so much for sharing those inspiring pics and for answering all my questions by posting those amazing close-ups. Wonderful! I really want to go next year, and if I can possibly manage it, I'll be there too. Wow is all I can say (I would've wanted to sign up for both sessions!)

Laurie in Iowa said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful time. The sampler is truly amazing. You are much braver than I am in tackling all that freehand stitching.
You two kit purchases are wonderful too.
I'm off to look at your photo album.

Meadows08 said...

Looks like you had a great time Valerie! I love the kits you bought, especially the one with what looked like a church.

Carol said...

Your time in Williamsburg sounds heavenly, Valerie! And what beautiful Essamplaire kits you purchased--lovely colors in both. I'll look forward to watching your progress on them :)

Michele said...

So jealous!! :) Sounds like a fabulous experience. I know what you mean - my husband expresses shock that I don't immediately stitch a new chart I buy. I enjoy looking and thinking about the project for YEARS before I actually start! :)

Robin said...

What a wonderful adventure you had! So happy you were able to attend! Great finds!

Have a fabulous week!

Deb said...

Oh my goodness, I'm green with envy over you being able to take that class. The sampler is wonderful although it looks a bit daunting! It's going to be drop dead wonderful when you're finished with it.

Love those new kits you picked up and I have a copy of the Virginia Sampler book. It's wonderful - you can't stop looking at the pictures.

Vonna said...

Oh wow...I'm totally jealous! But in a really good way :)
Sounds like a fabulous time, wonderful things to learn and see....I can't wait to watch your progress!

Nancy said...

I agree that is a gorgeous sampler! I think the freehand might be an enjoyable challenge. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and the kits you purchased, and the book too, are just beautiful!

anniebeez said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope to go to one of these events someday-I love the Cynthia Burr sampler-I was just admiring it over the weekend in Anne Sebba's sampler book-I didn't even know Margriet had reproduced it! Now I'm off to look at your picasa album. Thanks for sharing!

merumo said...

Hi, I just found your lovely blog filled with beautiful work! Looks like you had a wonderful time at the Gathering. I love Cynthia Burr and the kits you picked up from Margriet's. I've taken her online class, but miserablly failed. I'm always confused between cross stitch and quilting, and after seeing yours, I hear my cross stitch WIPs are calling me... lol Happy stitching!

samplerlover said...

Thank you for posting the photos. It sounds as if you had such a wonderful time there. I love Rhode Island Samplers and this one is really lovely.
Isn't Helena Kutz's sampler beautiful. I love the churches. They remind me of travelling through Germany and Austria. - Sandra.

Bertie said...

Looks like you had a great time and a wonderful opportunity to stitch a sampler from a drawing, wow that looks like a challenge:))
A friend of mine was there too and heard how fantastic it was.
Thanks for your lovely story.

Natalia said...

Valerie, sounds like you had a wonderful weekend !!! Oh I wish I could have been there. The sampler is wonderful and all the goodies you got are too!! It is so nice to gather with fellow stitchers for a whole weekend and just stitch, isn't it? So glad you had fun.

Siobhan said...

Oh my goodness, what a feast for the eyes! You must have had a fabulous time at the retreat--I'm so happy for you. AMAZING projects!

Pumpkin said...

Looks like you had an absolutely fantastic time Valerie!!!! Those pieces are just gorgeous.

I love Simon :o) I used to have two Siamese cats.

Kathy said...

Don't you think Jeanine does an excellent job with seminar. I was there two years ago but had to have major shoulder surgery and haven't gone back. I love Margariet Hogue and did Sarah McPhail and took Catherine Theron's class too. She has alot of excellent teachers. I wanted to do the Richmond Sampler but didn't make it for that. Your work is beautiful. It is nice to know there is another fellow sampler lover in Shenandoah Valley as I live in the Northern Shenandoah Valley....so many samplers to stitch but not enough time.

rebecca said...

Just found your blog and I am going to add you to my list to follow. Thank you for sharing about Williamsburg and your project from there. I have been once to Williamsburg for the stitchinb seminar and hope to go back again sometime soon for it. I love these samplers that have free form drawing. I have done one, the Hannah Prescott sampler by Joanne Harvey. I really seeing how it comes together. I am currently working on Sarah Prescott, Hannah's sister.
Happy Stitching.