Monday, May 17, 2010

Finally Finished and A New Start!

Good day my dear stitching friends!

It is a rainy, dreary day here in the Shenandoah but that is fine with me!  We need the rain and I am just enjoying being inside...cozy with the kitties and my stitching! 

I am proud to announce that I am finally finished with the classes for my teaching licensure.  I applied for my license on Saturday and I could not be happier!  Hubby and I celebrated by going out to dinner not once but TWICE!  Hey, the greatest gift is no dishes to wash, right?

I spent most of Saturday night and Sunday night stitching on my newest project, the Maria Monroe sampler. For the next three weeks, I will be proctoring the State Standardized Tests at one of the middle schools where I have been substituting.  So, I needed to have something small that I could throw into my bag and pull out when there is a little free time.  I decided on a cute sampler adaptation.  Maria Monroe was the oldest daughter of our fifth president, James Monroe.  Hubby and I visited their home, Ashlawn, just east of Charlottesville, VA about a year ago.  Maria stitched a sampler in 1814 and the original is on display at Ashlawn.  I was dying to find the reproduction chart and found a kit in the Ashlawn gift shop.  However, it was not an exact reproduction of the sampler but an adaptation.  Still, I had to have it.  Here is a very bad picture of the finished sampler:


I discarded the aida that came with the kit and supplied my own ivory linen.  I decided to use the cotton floss that was contained in the kit since it was already there.  Here is my progress so far:

Sadly, I do not have any progress to report on Richmond Sampler.  She is on the back burner for another week or two.  I will have two projects on my list for the next couple of weeks, Maria Monroe and the 23rd Psalm samplers.  I had promised the 23rd Psalm sampler chart to someone several months ago and need to get that one done ASAP!!  Here is my progress on 23rd Psalm...


I hope that everyone has a great start to the week!  I plan to get caught up on my blog reading and email responses.  If you have emailed me, I promise to respond soon!  I apologize for getting behind, but life has a way of forcing you to focus on other things!  I look forward to seeing all of the wonderful progress being made here in blogland!

Happy Stitching!

13 comments:

Kajsa said...

Congratulations on finishing your classes! All your wips look great!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

I have to admit Valerie that my heart skipped a beat when I read the title of your post. I thought "OMG, she's done with Richmond." Even better though - you've finished all you need for your teaching certificate. Well done, YOU! I am so happy for you!

Love your new sampler and the 23rd Psalm is lovely!

Sharlotte said...

Wahoo! I'm gad that your classes are all done! I was just thinking that today would be a good day to find out what is going on with you and "poof" there was a new blog post from you! I would have loved to have gone to the Monroe house. There is so much history back that way and I would love to go on a "history" vacation some day. Your WIP's look great and congrats on finishing the Richmond Sampler!

Anonymous said...

Love your new blog look, Valerie!

And a big whopping congratulations to you for finishing up the teacher licensure program! Woohoo!

Love your start on your Maria Monroe sampler and the 23rd Psalm is looking good!

Robin

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on finishing your classwork for your teacher licensure. YGG
Very pretty WIPs and I'm looking forward to seeing you return to your Richmond sampler.

Margaret said...

Congratulations on your teaching license! Yay! I love your Maria Monroe Sampler start -- and the history behind it too. And the 23rd Psalm Sampler is gorgeous! Lucky person who gets it!

FayeRaye said...

Nice job Valerie~~~ Enjoy proctoring, I always LOVE that time of year~~~lol..... Faye

Natalia said...

Valerie, congratulations on finishing your classes. Isn't that a bit weight off your shoulders?? Now.... stitch, stitch, stitch and enjoy. I love the 23rd Psalm sampler.

Lois said...

Congratulations on finishing your classes. Dinner out twice sounds good to me! What a sweet sampler you've picked up to work on.

Gladys Creativa said...

Is really wonderfult!
I like so much your work and your blog.

Siobhan said...

Congratulations on finishing up your classes! Dinner out sounds like a good way to celebrate. ;)

I love your WIPs, especially Maria--how neat!! I love historical ties like that.

Cari-in-VA said...

Congratulations Valerie - I am so very happy for you! Dinner out is always a wonderful treat!

Love your finish and your WIP are great too! When I was up at Woodlawn, I bought a repro kit they had - I'll have to checkout the one for Ashlawn as I have been there as well.

Enjoy your time!

Farm Girl said...

Very, very belated congratulations on finishing your studies. You have worked so hard - now hopefully you can relax a little. Sorry I missed this post a while back, I was just thinking about you now, and went to see what you had been up to lately. Love your WIP, especially Psalm 23.