Monday, January 25, 2010

A Blast from the Past

Good morning everyone!  The sun is out after days of rain.  However, no substituting for me today...schools were closed because of flooding.  We have had so much precipitation over the past couple of months that the rains from the past two days have pushed the small rivers out of their banks.  Funny how we are under a Flood Warning and the sun is out.  Luckily, I am in one the higher elevations and not near any body of water.  But I have heard that the waters are raging elsewhere so my thoughts and prayers go out to those who are being affected by this weather.

I don't have a progress picture of Sara today.  It never fails, as soon as I get close to finishing something, I find a mistake and set myself to frogging.  Oh,well.  My goal is to have Sara finished before the end of the month.  I am still on track...as long as I pay attention!

As I was going through stash this weekend, I came upon my very first piece of cross stitch.  I was nine years old when I stitched this and I just had to share it with you.  It was a kit that was given to me by a close family friend.  Everytime I look at it, I smile.  I can't help it.  I smile because of its simplicity, the memories attached and well, because it was my first project!  I've come a long way, baby!



Cute, huh?  Well, I thought that I would take a picture of the BACK of the piece.  Now this is going to make you laugh!




Holy smoke!  Look at all of those knots!  Now, I am still proud of my little girl, but I cannot help but think of the antique samplers that other nine year olds stitched.  Mine is a far cry from those girlhood embrodieries but I guess we all have to start somewhere!

I hope that I was able to bring a little giggle to you today.  I will be framing my "I Am Special" girl soon and  I will share it with you when she is finished.  I plan hang her with my other needlework...a reminder of how far I have come!

Happy Stitching!

4 comments:

Lois said...

I remember doing some very basic cross stitching when I was 8 or 9 and I'd love to be able to see it now because I'm sure the backs would be just awful never mind what the fronts would look like! This is such a cute design and I love that you plan to frame it.

Carol R said...

I was drawn to visit you by your Provence sampler! I love your 'first' stitching - so cute!
Your Sara - she's very beautiful.

Ranae said...

What a sweet blast from the past piece.

FayeRaye said...

You are like me!! I seem to keep everything and then when you run across something that puts a smile on your face, you are reminded why to hold onto to those kinds of things!! I liked your sharing..... Take care and thanks again for the nice words you had for me on my blog!~~ Faye